Saturday 7 February 2015

Day 7 - Heart attack in bag

Felt ok when we got up after a really deep sleep. Suspect no alcohol is helping us get a good sleep.   Few grumbles from our stomaches when we got up before we took Bailey for a walk.

Made flatbreads again but forgot to use warm water and I think this didn't activate the raising agent in the flour as well so they didn't puff up when I cooked them.
  

Flatbread & beans with a cuppa - 11p


Took Bailey for a walk to Inverleith park after breakfast and Mary and I spent an hour discussing how we could treat ourselves today. Options included a banana between us, a couple of fresh tomatoes or CHOCOLATE (on offer at Lidl 49p for Hazelnut chocolate bar). We decided to look at what we could combine with the eggs that were allocated for lunch today. So we opted for some rolls to make eggy rolls. Bit like French toast but you only soak the roll in the egg on one side once you cut it in half. We also bought a jam doughnut between us.

Eggy Rolls - 14p


1/2 Jam doughnut - 15p (was actually 29 for a whole one) + cuppa - 2p = 17p in total


In the afternoon we went for a walk round Arthur's seat. I didn't feel too great half way round. Felt like I'd hit a wall with no energy and a bit spaced out. Cut the walk short. On the way home we nipped into Tesco and splashed out on some Knorr Ham stock cubes as I didn't think the chicken ones would work. These cost £1.50 which has eaten into a chunk of our budget but worth the sacrifice.

I still didn't feel great when I got home so had a cuppa and digestive. Felt a bit better 30 mins later.

Cuppa + Digestive - 2p

On to making dinner. Penne Bolognese. I dug the frozen beef & pork mince out the freezer and was reminded if contained 25% Fat. Heart attack in a bag!!!!


I cooked the mince first to get some of the fat of it. You can see in the pan quite a bit has come out. I do worry about the impact on people's health if this was the typical mince they were eating on a regular basis and didn't try to remove the fat.



You might not want to look at the next photo if you are in the middle of your dinner. This was the hardened fat that I had poured in the basin. I'll leave you to have your own thoughts about it. Grim!!!


... and the finished dish.


Penne Bolognese - 51p

Tasted ok but was a bit heavier in my stomach than my usual recipe.

We're away out for a walk with Bails now to work some of this off!!! Not the healthiest day.

We'll have a wee cuppa and digestive later. Be rude not to.

Cuppa + digestive - 2p

Total for the day 97p

Total raised so far £592.18.  Thanks again for all the support.

Paul & Mary

2 comments:

  1. Lots of carbs there. That might explain why you "hit the wall". Do some research into Insulin response. That might give you ideas on how to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete