Tuesday 3 February 2015

Day 3 - An apple a day keeps the Dr away

Woke up a bit grumpy today (or was that grumpier than normal). Felt hungry as soon as I got up. Took Bailey for a walk and forgot to put my glasses on. Not sure if I felt light headed or just couldn't see properly!!

Porridge again for breakfast. This time we skipped the milk as we think that is going to run out quicker than planned. Must confess it didn't taste as good today. Think the honey won't last so might need to try it with a pinch of sugar at some point.

We also had a cup of tea. Mary didn't finish hers so I did. Waste not want not. Beginning to really appreciate that statement.

Porridge for breakfast (no milk) + cuppa - 11p. 



Mary was in the office today and I took Bailey for a walk round Arthur's Seat. My stomach was rumbling most of the way round. When I got back to the flat someone on the 1st floor had been cooking bacon. Sadly I stood for a few moments just taking in the smell of freshly cooked bacon (my mouth is even watering typing this).

Pea, Lentil and Bacon soup for lunch today with a slice of bread. Here's budding food photographer Mary's shot from her desk. Mary had a slither of diluting juice in her water where as I used her idea from yesterday and had a cup of hot water (mainly to warm my hands). 



Soup and bread - 17p

Today we've a real treat. Our first piece of fresh fruit. There is that old saying "an apple a day keeps the Dr away". It must be difficult to justify buying fresh fruit when the cost is very high relative to other food types you can buy for your money. I worry for the longer term effect on people's health if they are deprived of regular fresh fruit and veg (although it does seem easier to get cheap fresh veg).

Apple - 17p

.... and the finished apple.


By the time I picked Mary up from work we were both craving our dinner and the discussion quickly turned to what options we had for the quickest meal from the plan. Mac Cheese won as we also thought it would be the most filling.

To stick to the budget you need to weight things. The block of cheese we bought is planned for 5 meals so a bit dissection is required before you start to cook. I'm used to throwing a bit of this and a bit of that in and going by gut instinct but I suspect there would have been a bigger chunk of cheese going in if I'd guessed it.



Mac Cheese (90p for 2 people)
1 onion - 32p
Cheese - 28p
Milk - 25p
Butter - 9p
Pasta - 10p
Slice of bread - 2p
chilli powder - 1p
herbs - 5p
garlic - 4p
salt n pepper - 1p

The finished article with (yip) another dusting of chilli powder.






Mac Cheese - 45p each

Pretty full now but sure I'll manage a tea with digestive later. Normally I don't eat biscuits but I find I'm looking forward to this wee treat in place of a cheeky wee beer.

Tea and biscuit - 2p

We've spent 92p today each to feed ourselves. 

Total raised so far £464 and its only day 3.  Thanks for all the support.

Paul & Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment