Tuesday 10 February 2015

Day 10 - Today's reading matter is tomorrow's fast food wrapper (or it used to be)

Porridge again for breakfast.

Porridge + cuppa - 11p

Back to the lentil soup we're not too keen on. I tried to spice mine up a bit and tipped in a tablespoon of chilli instead of a teaspoon. Certainly tasted different today!! We also had a couple of spare carrots that I can't quite mind what they were for so thought be better have them before they go off. So carrot for a snack today.


Lentil Soup (plus my extra chilli powder) + Carrot - 20p

Mary nipped out from work after lunch to pickup a copy of the Evening News to see the article about our challenge. When she went to pay for it the woman in the shop said "Is that you on the front page?". I don't think she was expecting to have her face on the front page.


The online version seemed to generate some interest although there seemed quite a bit of negativity towards us considering we're only trying to raise some money for charity. The best one was suggesting we were "Tory" voters. WTF!!!  Mary and I we're both brought up on council estates. We've both been unemployed and on benefits in the past. We take nothing for granted. We've also experienced harder times a few years back when we were living off £25 a week for food and had to stop paying our mortgage and Mary was on Job Seekers Allowance. During these times we still felt fortunate as we knew there were people worse off than us. I'm always amazed how quick people think they know who you are and how quick they are ready to judge. I did feel the need to respond to a couple of folk before I realised I was wasting my time. I only wished they'd concentrate their efforts towards the politicians that have allowed this country to become so divided in terms of wealth distribution. We also felt humbled by friends who sent us messages of support and took the time to reply to some of the negative comments. Nice to know people have got our back.

We'd still put the newspaper article as a positive experience overall. I've been asked to go on the radio. Lets hope there's not a phone in!!!

Back to dinner and things are beginning to repeat themselves with another pizza.



.... and the finished version.


Pizza - 48p

After dinner we had a walk with Bailey followed by a cuppa, digestive biscuit and Tony Singh on iPlayer.



Total for the day 79p each.

Please use this link if you'd like to donate to Fairshare Just Giving Page.

Total raised so far £757.18. Amazing in just over a week. Thanks again for all the support.

Paul & Mary

5 comments:

  1. Don't let the bastards grind you down. What you are doing is amazing. I have not donated yet but I will be doing so when I get paid. There will always be people who don't appreciate what somebody is doing but there are a lot more who think you are awesome. "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the bastards grind you down. What you are doing is amazing. I have not donated yet but I will be doing so when I get paid. There will always be people who don't appreciate what somebody is doing but there are a lot more who think you are awesome. "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Means a lot to us to know that there are people out there like you supporting us.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome! I amreally enjoying your blog and think what you are doing is fantastic. Sorry I'm not sure how I sent my previous comment twice!

      Delete
    3. You are welcome! I amreally enjoying your blog and think what you are doing is fantastic. Sorry I'm not sure how I sent my previous comment twice!

      Delete